Sunday, June 22, 2008

Great Way to End the Baseball Season

As a follow up to the earlier headline, Zach's Braves team finished their season by beating the Loveland Blue Jays 9-8. The Jays were 16-0 going into the game and were by far the best team we had faced this year.

The whole Braves team played terrific. They were even shorthanded with only 9 players, when they are allowed to play with 10 in the field. Zach went 3 for 3, with 2 singles plus a cannon shot that went for a triple. Then he saved the game for the Braves by pitching the last inning. He hit one batter a walked a few, but kept his composure and struck out the last batter with the bases loaded to cement the victory.

The Braves captured the title after being the 3rd seed at the start of the playoffs. They needed an extra inning to win their first playoff games against the Angels, but exploded in the extra frame to win 12-5. Then they had an easier time in the semi-final, beating the Reds 14-4 to get into the championship.

Zach had a great team and they were fun to coach. It all reminded me of the one baseball championship team that I played on back in Buffalo. Dad coached the team when I was about Zach's age. I might have been in 3rd grade, but I was one of the younger kids, and the team was very good. We played the last game at the Red House field, but don't remember what team we beat. I didn't play much in the title game, and didn't pitch the last inning like Zach did, and probably didn't hit any triples. But winning is always fun.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Way to go, Zach!